Sunday, January 15, 2012

cowboy casserole


a buncha years ago - way back in the time before I had a clue, a car or even a hint of normalcy; this was known on many late nights to my friends and I as 'tatertot casserole.'

however - when I found the long lost potatoe goodness a couple months ago on Pinterest ... it's been known as that blog says ever since - Cowboy Casserole.

I ran to the grocery store and retrieved all the ingredients needed to make the cheesy treat that very night; just as I do with far too many things I find 'pinning.'



the first time I made it according to the recipe and while it was very good; it was HUGE and had way too much cheese on top.  That says something, because I like cheese more than Beyonce like bad lyrics and lip syncing.

So, this time around - we tweaked the recipe a little bit.
(using less beef, cheese & tots)



'Cowboy Casserole'
1 lb. ground beef
(I used 93/7)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons sour cream
2/3 bag
(30 oz) tater tots (we used Ore-Ida Crispy Crowns)

  • we started to prep the ingredients for the casserole, and placed our 2/3 bag of tater tots out on a cookie sheet - above the warming oven. (to help thaw .. not necessary, I'm sure ...)
  • we cooked our meat 80% of the way and drained the oil.
  • we sauteed the onions & garlic in that same pan; then re-added the meat, back into the pan - cooking the rest of the way.
  • in a medium bowl we mixed the soup, milk, and sour cream; whisking until it was smooth.
  • then, we added the meat mixture and stirred together.
  • we added our corn and 1 1/4 cup cheese, then mixed together - gently.
  • we took our favorite awkward baking dish - 9 x 7 x 2.5 and greased it with cookin' oil.
  • we laid half of our tater tots along the bottom of the dish
  • poured the hamburger/sour cream mixture over top of the bottom layer
  • smoothed it down, then covered the top of the mixture with the remaining tater tots
  • sprinkled with the remaining cheese.
  • baked @ 350 for 30 minutes, until the taters on top were crunchy, golden brown.

our favorite thrift store bowls waited with anticipation ..

It was ridiculously good ... i won't lie.
we love it and we'll definitely be keeping it on our repertoire



No comments:

Post a Comment

craft play love is just my little blog about life, family, crafts and all the random junk in between. I like comments .. so leave 'em!! Even if you don't - I'll still know you were here. You mind as well say 'ello .. don't be a creeper ;)